Google Custom Search

Friday, November 16, 2007

Yoga Music

I was reading the other day that certain instruments are particularly calming to the nervous system. The harp and piano were two of the ones mentioned. I would add to that classical guitar and harmonium (used commonly in kirtan).

At the same time Rod Stryker and many other Yogis frown on the use of music in class. Yoga is about coming within and pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses).

So, when you practice do you play music? How about in a group class--do you think music is a help or hindrance?

Personally, I've gone both ways (regarding music that is). I love the serenity that music can bring, at the same time it can distract people from paying attention to their alignment and body. In general, musicians seem to be more distracted.

I'd love to hear your opinion and what your preference is.
In the meantime, here are some of my favorite peaceful CD's:

Usually used with Yoga practice (lately all my practices have been silent, but if I was to have music, one of these would most likely be there)

Inner Dance
Divine Bliss
Rasa Devotion
Theta Meditation System
Laura Day's Dynamic Intuition (disc 2)

Music I like to chill to with perhaps a glass of red wine

The Most Relaxing Guitar Album in the World ... Ever! (I swear, that's what it's called!!)

Anything at all by Edith Piaf (If past lives are real, then I'm sure I knew her or something extremely emotional/important happened while listening to her beautiful voice.)

Ben Kammin (I have 7tunes&3songs and a promo CD). So, this guy is GREAT!! Local guy (to Milwaukee). He stopped playing for a number of years, and actually I thought he still wasn't playing. Seems that there was a very nasty break up and his heart was truly broken (back then I as in the "loop" of his friends). He sold ALL his equipment--guitars everything (according to my sources--his friends). We were all very bummed about this. Then at a party that we were both at he actually played for my son, Jake--Iron Man on acoustic guitar. I was so very honored, as was young Jake. But that was it. He put the instrument down and headed off to Spain. I always felt that the world was missing out on the phenomenal talent this young man was blessed with. I'm thrilled to see (as of this posting!), he is playing again. After this post, I'll definitely be checking out his future shows. Some of you bloggers hold a special place in my heart; if you are in Milwaukee (I know most of you seem to be in Australia!!) let me know and we'll catch a show.

Chocolate Genius Inc - Black Yankee Rock

Uplifting

India Arie - Acoustic Soul

One of my favorite musicians of all time!

Louis Armstrong

Seems as if I've strayed from Yoga music, but it's all healing to the heart.

Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.totalhealthyogaclasses.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love music in general, so music during yoga practice really inspires me. I can practice both ways, but music is preferred.