Happiness is a choice.
One of the wisest things that my former husband ever said to me was,
"Only you can make you happy."
True happiness comes from within.
Dr. Joe Vitale, from The Secret, has a recent post listing "10 ways to get happy." He offers 10 suggestions to bring you out of a slump or momentary set back, such as being with your pet, dancing to music (one of my favorites!), giving to someone else, set an intention, say 'thank you', watch a movie, have some comfort food, detach, and smile.
I do believe that accepting and experiencing your current feelings is very important, but have had times of "stuckness" or self-pity or doubt about almost everything. That's when it's time to give yourself a nudge towards happiness, or in some cases a good hard push.
Here's my own list of happiness tips:
1. Take a walk.
3. Pranayama or Yogic breathing techniques to enhance life force--pay particular attention to the less dominant nostril and where the breath is in the nostrils.
4. Follow the Asanas and Pranayama with Meditation.
5. Journal at least 10 things that you are grateful for. Then maintain the feeling of gratitude as you write what you're ready to embrace--such as "I fully embrace joy and true happiness."
6. Hug someone.
7. Make *whoopie*.
8. Take a candlelit bath.
9. Dance with reckless abandon in your living room--not to some sappy love song, but to something uplifting like 3 Little Birds.
10. Pray with faith and trust.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life!