Google Custom Search

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Healthy Gums


Gum disease runs in my family. During my second pregnancy my gums bled so bad they would just start bleeding in the middle of the day.

Flossing didn't help and my dentist implied this was just something I had to live with and would most likely loss my teeth early in life. I was only in my low 30's when this news came in.

Being interested in Yoga, I read a lot of Ayurvedic info and ran across the importance of caring for your gums as a sign of overall decent health. One source said to rub tea tree oil on the gums every day for dental hygiene care.

So, for the past 5 or so years I've been using a gum stimulator and tea tree oil every morning. I put just a few drops of tea tree on the stimulator. Then after brushing my teeth, I stimulate between every tooth -- front and back. This takes less than a minute. I let it sit on my gums/teeth for about 60 seconds while I wash my face. Then rinse.

To be honest my dentist--who I no longer go to--didn't think this was such a great idea. I'm guessing that he had never heard of tea tree oil. All I know is that my gums have not bled in 5 years and at age 43 they are healthier than in my late 20's!

So, listen to what makes sense to you. Doctors are great, but in the end you are the best judge for what works for you.


Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.totalhealthyogaclasses.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

1 comment:

Everyday Yogini said...

What an important lesson we can learn from Yoga~ to trust our instincts and intuition. We have become so detached from our own wisdom in our culture! Tea tree oil is such an amazing thing! We use it for all sorts of things in our household!! I had never heard of using it on gums... I have a few spots that could use that treatment!!