Google Custom Search

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Peace - Can't we all just get along?


Two beautiful creatures. Both cute. Both small and furry. Yet, getting along can be a challenge.

The other day, Pippin, the 2.5 year old Daschund pictured above, was outside romping freely about the front yard. His nose began to twitch, as it often does, and he was on a mad chase of some new scent. My son continued to shoot hoops in the driveway, not thinking much of it.

Suddenly, I heard Jake, my youngest boy, scream out, "Stop, Pippin! Stop it!" I tear outside to find 3 bloody baby rabbits spewed around the yard.

This is not the first time that we've found Pip going after and eventually eating creatures that take refuge in our lawn. These wild animals welcome a yard that has many hiding spots and minimal, if any, pesticides. Out back there is even a deck for them to take cover from the rain or larger predators.

However, there's no hiding from the keen nose of a Daschund, and he happily chases his prey under the deck much to my chagrin.

As I loudly scolded my loving puppy, my heart was torn. Daschunds were breed for 100's, if not 1000's of years, to hunt small mammals. The eating them part, I'm not so sure about, but the hunting is part of who he is.

How can I scold or show anger at someone simply being who they are? My thoughts of non-violence (ahimsa, the first yama in the Yoga Sutras) are different than his.

My heart insists on trying to save these poor bitten up bunnies and my disappointment in Pippin is easily seen. At the same time, I feel love and confusion towards my dog. He is only doing what is instinctual to him. Feelings of sorrow and responsibility for the wild critters, weighs heavily as well.

I try to taper my frustration with him. Struggling to show him that I love him and yet this act of killing is not condoned.

To act as peacefully as I am able, and yet to not judge another's actions.

I realize he's just a dog, but this same lesson applies to anyone. Doesn't it? To act in a way that I believe is loving and to voice that (like teaching my dog that killing critters around our home is not such a hot idea), but to still love people (like the certain politicians) that act in a way that I don't condone. Ah, the lessons from a dog.

“Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away.” - Robert Fulghum

Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.learnyogaonline.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

No comments: