Google Custom Search

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Anatomy of the Spirit

I realize this book has been out since 1996, but am still inspired to offer a few comments regarding it's usefulness and wisdom.



The first time I began reading Anatomy of the Spirit, by Dr. Caroline Myss, I got 20 or so pages in and decided she was a nut job. I quickly put the book back on the Barnes and Noble shelf for fear that some of her nuttiness would rub off on me.



Years later, I saw it at a used book store, Half Price Books, and felt compelled to buy it. On the way home, I stopped in a coffee shop and began to read. This time the ideas didn't seem so far fetched or crazy. A matter of fact, a tear rolled down my cheek as I read the Introduction. Something inside told me this book would change my life.



If you are opened minded, or already have an alternative mindset, it's a great read. Caroline talks about the seven chakras or energy centers of the body. She directly relates each center to historical ideas of various religions. Her knowledge, after studying religion, is vast. She, also, works with medical doctor, Norm Shealy, and relays interesting stories about their cases.



What I've really enjoyed about this book is the reference aspect. Over the past five years, I have used the table on pages 96-101 to help get to the root of various issues or feelings.



This table lists the following: Chakra (energy center), related organs, probable mental or emotional issues, and physical dysfunctions.



When I'm feeling off in any area, this chart pinpoints the associated chakra. From there I go to the self-examination questions at the end of that chakras chapter. Usually that's enough to provide an insight regarding what's going on. Sometimes I need to re-read the chapter.

If I'm just feeling "off", but can't put my finger on a physical dysfunction or mental issue, then I scan my body. It's really pretty simple. I lie in bed (usually in the morning just before rising or during savasana after a Yoga practice) and rest my awareness for a few moments at each energy center. They all vibrate differently. If any area feels numb or blocked, I go to the chapter for that energy center. Like clockwork, I've discovered issues that need addressing.



I believe using Anatomy of the Spirit in this fashion has prevented problems having to show up in my gross physical body. If you catch a disturbance in the subtle stages, it can prevent them from ever showing up in the physical body.



Overall, well worth every penny I paid for it. Thanks, Dr. Myss!



Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.totalhealthyogaclasses.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks, Kris. I think I'm going to get this. I haven't yet found a way to connect personal issues with chakra work, and this sounds like a good place to start!

Sandy Levin said...

I just got the book - it's the perfect compliment to a yoga practice.