Google Custom Search

Monday, October 1, 2007

The Power of Breath

We've been having troubles with our water heater lately which was related to our new dishwasher. I've had to turn the heat up higher than in the past to get the same temperature. Over the past few days I've been playing with the heat to find the best setting.

After taking a warm shower--most likely warmer than recommended for your average person--my heart rate shot up. As I sat down to check email, this pulsing in the back of my neck was so strong it actually distracted my thoughts. So, I took my pulse (I've been out of the shower for at least 20 minutes now) and found my pulse at 104. I know my aerobic workouts have dwindled to a 30 minute walk with the dog (who is puttsy) almost every day. That is, I don't have a strong aerobic workout.

I tried 1:2 ration of inhale to exhale for about 9 breaths. Down to 96 heart beats/minutes.

I tried a heart mudra and visualization for about 4 minutes. Heart rate went to 92. (This could just be that I was sitting down and coming down from the shower heat.)

Then I kept my eyes softly closed and took 12 breaths through the nostrils. Each breath I focused completely on the exhale. No counting. No 1:2. I'm sure the exhales were much longer than twice the inhales. The inhales were used just as a means to allow me to exhale even more. They weren't forced, but they were short. There was no tensing in the abs during exhale, but every drop of air seemed to be let go. Heart rate arrived at 60.

Now that's the power of breath!


Love Much,

Kris
www.TotalHealthYoga.com
www.LearnYogaOnline.Blogspot.com

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

No comments: