Google Custom Search

Friday, September 14, 2007

Time - Do you save any for just you?


Do you tend to give to others a lot? Do you awake to feed the kids, walk the dog, or go to work? Is your day filled with answering questions, playing chauffeur, or serving others? Do you come home to clean the house, cook dinner, or help with homework? When you do take time for just you? If you're struggling to find time for yourself, here are some thoughts.

As soon as you unroll your mat (at home or in class), designate that time as "Just For Me Time". When you are on an airplane the flight attendant instructs you to put the air mask on yourself first, then help others. This is some of the best advise I've ever heard.


Your have to take care of yourself in order to care for others. It's that simple.


Yoga is a time for you and no one else. It's a time to rejuvenate and nourish your body, mind, and spirit. Once your cup is full, you'll have something to give. You can't give what you don't have.

If you don't feel comfort, joy, and happiness, how can you inspire that in others?

It's not selfish or demanding to have your practice all about you. In the end, that's the only way to offer to others. At the end of a practice, dedicate the positive feelings to someone in need. Sometimes that someone is you.

Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.learnyogaonline.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

4 comments:

Jane said...

I am glad to find your blog. This post speaks to me.

I recently resumed working after years of being a full-time MOM. But one condition I set with the company I work for is time to continue attending my yoga classes.

This is really time for MYSELF. It is only when I am able to recharge myself and de-stress that I can give MORE to my family and even to work.

Thanks, Kris!

Mary said...

I agree, yoga is me time and time for me to reflect on how I connect to everything around me. I'm lucky those around me are happy that I take this time out. My partner says I am much better for it and easier deal with because I'm always doing something with someone otherwise.

GlamSpirit said...

I was raised to believe that any time taken for self was considered selfish. But over the years I've learned that we can only give water if there is water in the well. My yoga practice continually puts money in the bank for deposits of love that I share with others.

Kris said...

Well put, GlamSpirit! I love that--"You can only give water if there's water in the well." Hope you don't mind if I use it.