Google Custom Search

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mealtime Prayers



As I sit an pause to look at the bounty before me, whether it be a single scrambled egg or a Christmas feast, my mind wanders to the origin of this food.


The chicken scrambling about the yard and laying an egg while the farmer slept. How this new life is given up to provide protein and life for my family. Thank you.



The wheat fields shimmering in the sunlight as a gentle breeze helps them to dance and sway. The soil providing a foundation for the tall stalks and the rain giving life. Hundreds of tiny grains milled and brought together with yeast and water to bring the slice of bread now on my plate. Thank you.


The list goes on and on. There is no doubt that I am connected intimately with the earth. Each bite that enters this mouth and is broken down by these teeth is a reminder of the gifts that the earth offers. I have no choice but to offer back. Thank you.



Just before that first piece of sustenance enters this physical form, I silently whisper, "May this food provide this body with health, vitality, strength, flexibility, and balance. Thank you." This is not a rote ritual, but rather a conscious consideration and appreciation.



Then the first few bites are savored with closed eyes and all focus goes to the taste buds, the sounds of transition, and the marvelous texture of this gift. Taste explosion. Even the simplest of foods take on new flavors as I simply notice. Just notice and say thank you, really thank you.



Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

No comments: