Google Custom Search

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Yoga at Home

Today's practice was inversions. Not because a teacher decided it or someone in a class requested it. In a personal home practice, the focus is set because it's what my mind and/or body choose it! This is one of the many joys of home Yoga.

Does the idea of finding peace, strength, flexibility, and centering at home sound intriguing to you? If so, try Yoga at Home. This is such a useful and important part of anyone's practice that I am even writing a book about it and hope to have it published by next year.

Home Yoga is a wonderful time to re-connect with your Self/God/The Universe/Higher Consciousness or whatever label you'd like to use. In the silence, there is only your breath to guide you. Your imagination and creativity have a chance to be stimulated. There is no better time (that I've found) to really pay attention to your body.

So many of us spend the day complaining or finding fault with our bodies. Private Yoga is a time to "converse" with your body. To literally ask, what do you need? What direction would feel good right now? What area can use some strengthening? How about some opening? Where do you simply need to rest? A personal practice is a time to honor the body and bring it into positions and motions that it craves. This sense of honor and nourishing continues throughout the day. You might find that you're eating better or taking more walks after dinner. The practice doesn't end after the mat is rolled up. It just takes on a new form.

Physically, when a practice is about following your bodies needs the results can be amazing. I've learned more about my own alignment pluses and negatives by experimenting and taking my time just on my own. With that said, working with experienced teachers has provided me with the tools and basic knowledge to know what to look for and what direction to go in.

Thanks to Traveling Shoes and Yoga Spark for their inspiring stories about a home practice.

Love Much,

Kris
http://www.totalhealthyoga.com/
http://www.learnyogaonline.blogspot.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

2 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

Great post!! As you already know I am a big advocate of home practice. I am going to let all my yoga pals know about your post, especially the ones that can't seem to find it in themselves to practice alone.

GlamSpirit said...

I'm a big fan of home practice. It can take a bit more discipline, but it's worth it. The benefit for me is tuning in so that I can go deeper into poses that are difficult or ease my way into ones that relax and restore me.