Google Custom Search

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ashtanga Yoga - Jois leaves the world of form

Thanks to Nadine Fawell for bringing it my attention that Sri K Pattabhi Jois passed away on May 18, 2009 after gracing this earth for over 90 years.

Jois studied with Krishnamacharya, the father of most yogas today. Taking his own views on hatha yoga and using the knowledge he had acquired, Ashtanga Yoga was born.

Today Ashtanga Yoga is one of the most popular styles in America. While questing for a style that suited me over the last decade or so, Ashtanga was one of the paths I followed for a brief period. Although it did not speak to me personally, the impact Jois had on the world and thousands of people is commendable--his dedication and strength, admirable.

I know that my next practice--regardless of what style I choose--will be dedicated to this devoted and much loved man.

Namaste,

Kris
www.TotalHealthYoga.com

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

1 comment:

Mary said...

It's amazing how many people have been touched by this man, directly or indirectly.